Monday, September 2, 2019

so... what is Pilates?

I had a really interesting conversation with someone last night- he has been practicing Pilates (forever) to complement his sport in skating. He took the plunge to do a reformer training (somewhere) but was rather disappointed how information was watered down (or taken too simply).

so... what is Pilates?
and what does it offer you as a practitioner?

I fell in love with Pilates at first attempt (like quite literally). It was logical, and highly functional. As a teacher/instructor of this method for more than 7 years, I am still awed by this revolutionary method. I guess it's also because our bodies are (DAMN) amazing, how it naturally moves, and heals.

so... what is Pilates?

I would say the concept itself is foundation to many other forms of training modalities, its essence and intention (the system) creates balance for effective strengthening and efficiency of movement. I mentioned during the event last Saturday that as a sports person, I prefer some form of rigidity rather than too much flexibility in my body. (That being said, split was never on my to do list)

I prioritize (and largely believe in) integrated mobility and muscular elasticity. These came about from my background of trainings. I coined integrated mobility to refer to the ability (of a joint that is right in its place) to move with good range of motion without the risk of injury- a little more to feel good in the body, not less to feel outright stiff. Muscular elasticity assimilates that of a spring that recoils and recycles energy in the entire system. This is possible because of the intention to facilitate the gliding of tissues in the body and tap on the stretch-reflex properties of muscles that create movement.

and what has it done for me as a practitioner?

I can touch my toes? NO, haha. That's part of the process. I think the best takeaway for me is that I maintain a form of homeostasis in my body, when something gets out of order, I feel it right away and I can address it. I am very much aware of my body asI hit the ground when running (it's remarkable how you feel your steps recycle on its own - like a bicycle), and when I glide through the water when I swim. I think being able to do that has made sports enjoyable for me.

My hope for people out there is for them to regain that joy in their activities. J

No comments:

Post a Comment