Tuesday, July 16, 2019

A renewed mind

I taught my first class today after almost a month of retreat to Boulder to recharge, and learn from the teacher mentor, Pat.

I was hoping for some time to sit myself down and do class plans on how I would integrate concepts into my current classes. That didn't materialize of course, of all things I had to do (or chose to do)- I shouldn't give myself excuses. I was playing out ideas in my mind, with no skeleton program in my head, just a bag of exercises. How would I inject that life into classes?

Although I'm not feeling like I just got hit with a hard rock, I'm certainly not 100% present in my head space. I don't know how I'd thought my class was at 12.15pm instead of noon! Thankfully I am usually early otherwise... DEAD. But because of that, I was focused not to complicate things, and just work on the fundamentals - keeping simple. I listened to my own words (I tried to), I injected in concepts (as Pat taught) to exercises they already knew and linked the pieces together for them. I stayed on to help Ailin understand better then essence of footwork - she didn't feel her knees as she usually did (she has hereditary osteoarthritic knees) and when she focused on drawing in from the hip joints, she felt the work coming from her deep core. 😍

Back to the usual Pilates practice with my mates every Tuesday. We did exercises on the chair. It feels like Pat's voice was still resounding in my head, reminding me how the body should be moving, and logically making sense why I am feeling that way. It clicked. I'm happy. I think many times that heartfelt sense of achievement and understanding show. I think my friends know. I think I say it too much sometimes.

Sometimes you can't hide joy. I am grateful, and excited at the same time. What more will it unveil? It's only the beginning, my gosh. Suddenly 7 years of teaching Pilates doesn't count at all.... The scientist in me says, "keep questioning". That's the beauty of this work. ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment