Monday, July 22, 2019

Training for 113 Aquathlon

Last Friday night after bible study we had some time for fellowship and in the midst of discussion about the unearthly swim squad my swim coach organized, I realized I could well head into the pool at the same time without the mind boggle to set my head in its place. 🤣

So because I was honestly inspired to do so, I'd posted I was back in action for my first swim the next day and my friend said about joining the 113 Aquathlon. (Aiks!) So I did (has she?). I sure hope so... We are going to attempt the standard distance excluding the bike leg, so that would give me an opportunity to fine tune my swim technique and probably improve on my run before I decide if I would join the standard distance triathlon... (next year?), but out of the blue yesterday I got volunteered to participate in Ironman (70.3) events next time.. (SURE.) 

To cut the story short, my intention for this post is to establish my (training) periodization program. When I sign up for events, I always plan for success (to complete comfortably) even if competition is secondary. I feel that keeps me in the game for a longer period of time, and to understand the athletes under my charge better.

So because I have exactly 3 months before the race on 20th October, an initial goal/training platform (mesocycle) would look something like that:
  • first month (20/7-20/8): work on 5-km runs (current at 27min, aim to complete 5km in 25min), progressively maintaining speed for an increment of 500m; fine tune swim technique (currently employing the total immersion swim style) and work my way back up to 1-km consecutive laps.
  • ~1 week recovery, maintain routine of regular Pilates practice and strength training^ and complete a short brick at the end of recovery week (25/8): 5-km run, 750-m swim
So exciting. I always believe in the potential of marrying sports training and Pilates for athletic conditioning!

Alright! Off to train! 

No comments:

Post a Comment