Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Still wandering..

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. 
Benjamin Franklin

I wouldn't trade anything for this trip down to Boulder. It truly has been insightful, the people I have met (DISCLAIMER!) are warm and inclusive, open and honest. No fancy tricks, just time spent to understand Pilates better, in depth. Why I love Pilates? Because it's just plainly logical, Debora agreed. 

I am grateful to have met teachers who are ever so willing to share and pass on their knowledge. Although, I wouldn't have revealed that I was teaching Pilates back home in Singapore... because HOW ODD and how on earth this Asian girl managed to get an accommodation at the University when she's just visiting, HAHA!

I've barely scratched the surface of the rock, I know. It's exciting, AND scary. I've met teachers who have guided me to be body-sense more aware and inspired me to keep learning and be a better teacher, but I haven't met one who truly inspires me to understand WHAT I am teaching and WHY, not just HOW. Specific as she can be, yet she makes it plain simple and digestible. It just takes time to unlearn (and relearn) and reprocess information. Change doesn't happen overnight. But I'm glad I made this first step because... well, I can't explain, maybe it's just a personality thing. 

I also wanted to share Eve Gentry's work, which I thought would actually clear doubts and allow my peers and fellow Pilates practitioners understand the idea of "Imprint" better.

Part 1

Part 2
Though I mostly teach 'neutral spine', I am just saddened at the fact that for years my idea of imprint (as was delivered), was actually not what was intended. I'm glad that has been clarified earlier.

Never take the information given to you for granted and accept it. Question it and reacquaint with it if it makes sense...

That being said, last 4 days in Boulder! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment